Indian Style Turkey
- 2 cups yams or sweet potatoes, peeled
and cut in 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 cups fat-free chicken broth, divided
- 1 pound skinless turkey breasts, boneless,
cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons apricot preserves
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup diced dried apricots
- 3/4 cup frozen green peas, thawed
Steam cubed yams for approximately 15 minutes and set aside.
In dutch oven, combine onion, celery and garlic with 2 TBS chicken broth. Saute, stirring frequently, 3 to 5 minutes, until onions begin to color and liquid evaporates.
Add turkey cubes and stir-fry 5 minutes longer or until turkey is no longer pink.
In a medium bowl mix seasonings, lemon juice, yams, apricot preserves, raisins, apricots and remaining broth. Add to dutch oven and bring to simmer.
Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 35 minutes.
Stir in peas. Cover and cook 5 minutes longer before serving.
Serve with brown or basmati rice
Amount Per Serving:
Calories 407 - Calories from Fat 29
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 7%, Protein 33%, Carbohydrate 60%
Totals and Percent Daily Values (2000 calories): Fat 3g, Saturated Fat 1g, Cholesterol 68mg, Sodium 340mg, Total Carbohydrate 61g, Dietary Fiber 2g, Protein 34g, Vitamin A 8506 units, Vitamin C 25 units, Calcium 0 units, Iron 5 units