Hoisin Glazed Chicken
with Green Beans
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 Tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 whole star anise
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 pound (4 breasts) skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 1 pound green beans (microwave bag)
- 1 teaspoon Asian (dark) sesame oil *
Stir together the first six ingredients in a large skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and add chicken. Cover and cook, turning once, until chicken is cooked (12-16 minutes).
Meanwhile, microwave the bag of green beans.
Transfer the cooked chicken to a plate. Bring the sauce to a boil over medium-high heat; boil until slightly thickened and reduced to 1/2 cup, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in the toasted sesame oil. Remove and throw away the 3 whole star anise.
Cut chicken crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Put chicken and green beans on plates and spoon the sauce over them both. Tasty.
* I searched all over the place and finally found toasted sesame oil (or dark sesame oil) at my local Health Food Store. Made from toasted sesame seeds, this thick, rich oil is golden to dark brown in color and marvelously aromatic. As opposed to sesame oils, the toasted variety is used as a seasoning only.
Nutrition Facts (6 SP)
Amount Per Serving:
Calories 236 - Calories from Fat 50
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 21%, Protein 51%, Carbohydrate 29%
Totals and Percent Daily Values (2000 calories): Fat 5g, Saturated Fat .9g, Cholesterol 83mg, Sodium 441mg, Total Carbohydrate 16g, Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugar 9.35g, Protein 29g, Vitamin A 60 units, Vitamin C 16 units, Calcium 79 units, Iron 1.6 units