Black-Eyed Pea Soup
- 1 28 oz. can undrained tomatoes,chopped
- 2 10 oz. packages frozen black-eyed peas
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 quarts water
- 1 Tablespoon granules of chicken bouillon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried whole oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried whole thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cups chopped cooked turkey breast
- lowfat cheddar cheese (optional)
TURKEY: If you have 2 cups of cooked turkey breast lying around...use it. Otherwise use either of the following 2 suggestions:
1. buy a 2 lb turkey breast. Spray a 8x8x2-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Place turkey breast in dish skin side up. Add about a cup or so of non-fat chicken broth. Cover with foil; cook 45 minutes in a preheated 350° oven. Remove foil; cook 30-45 minutes more or until thermometer pops up (or the meat thermometer reads 190°), basting occasionally. Remove from oven; let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Good for 2 meals as well as the 2 cups for above recipe.
2. buy a 1 lb turkey breast tenders. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray. Place turkey tenders in dish. Add about a cup or so of non-fat chicken broth. Cover with foil; cook 45 minutes in a preheated 350° oven. Remove foil; check with meat thermometer to see if it reads at least 170°. If not, cook a bit longer, basting occasionally. Remove from oven; let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Combine first 11 ingredients (tomatoes thru garlic) in a large Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes. Stir in carrots, celery, green pepper and parsley; simmer 30 minutes more. Add turkey; simmer 30 minutes or more or until vegetables are tender.
Ladle into serving bowls. May sprinkle with cheddar cheese if wanted.
Nutrition Facts (4 PP)
Amount Per Serving:
Calories 157 - Calories from Fat 9
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 6%, Protein 36%, Carbohydrate 58%
Totals and Percent Daily Values (2000 calories): Fat 1g, Saturated Fat 0g, Cholesterol 29mg, Sodium 145mg, Total Carbohydrate 23g, Dietary Fiber 2g, Protein 14g, Vitamin A 5260 units, Vitamin C 39 units, Calcium 0 units, Iron 2 units