Chunky Chicken Chili
Here's chili on the light side. If a big bowl 'o red is one of your guilty pleasures, you'll love the gutsy flavor of this low-fat version. And to go nicely with this dish should be Corn Bread.
- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breast, or
turkey breast, cut into 1/2 to 1 inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 14 oz. can tomato
- 1 14 oz. can fat-free chicken broth
- 1 16 oz. can pinto beans,
drained and rinsed
- 1 16 oz. can red kidney beans,
drained and rinsed
- 1 10 oz. package frozen succotash * see note
Pat chicken dry on paper towels. Heat 1 tsp oil in a large pot over high heat (keep hood fan going). Add half the chicken pieces and brown well on all sides; transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining 1 tsp oil and chicken.
Add onions and garlic to pot; cover and cook over medium heat until tender, 4-5 minutes. Stir in chili powder, cumin, and cinnamon; cook 30 seconds. Add cut-up tomatoes with their liquid; bring to a boil. Add chicken broth, beans, and succotash; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Add chicken and simmer 5 minutes
Serve with fritos or Corn Bread.
* Special Note on the Succotash: This is not the real succotash with cream...this is frozen whole kernal corn and frozen baby lima beans. If you have a problem finding it in your super-market (I looked in 4 markets before finding a package this week), just add 5 oz whole kernal corn and 5 oz baby lima beans.
Nutrition Facts (12 PP)
Amount Per Serving:
Calories 466 - Calories from Fat 63
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 14%, Protein 36%, Carbohydrate 50%
Totals and Percent Daily Values (2000 calories): Fat 7g, Saturated Fat 2g, Cholesterol 97mg, Sodium 1123mg, Total Carbohydrate 58g, Dietary Fiber 5g, Protein 42g, Vitamin A 1125 units, Vitamin C 42 units, Calcium 0 units, Iron 6 units