Curried Red Lentil Soup
- 1 1/2 cups red indian lentils
- 5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium, peeled, diced potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons margarine or butter
- 1 medium diced onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Broth
1. This recipe is made only for the indian red lentils (I buy at my local India food store).Pick over lentils then rinse in a strainer under cold running water. Put
them in a 3 QT saucepan along with the water, oil & salt. Bring to a boil
and cook, uncovered for 20 minutes, over medium heat. Stir occasionally.
2. Cook potatoes 10 minutes.
3. In a small skillet heat margarine and broth. Add the onion, garlic and all the
spices. Cook for 3 minutes, or until the onions begin to get tender.
4. Add the drained potatoes and onion mixture to lentils, stir and cook
until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes more. If the soup is too thick,
thin with a little water.
Serve with a pat of margerine on each serving.
(Although this soup is delicious if served immediately, it is more
flavorful if prepared at least an hour before serving, then reheated.)
Amount Per Serving:
Calories 403 - Calories from Fat 24
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 6%, Protein 23%, Carbohydrate 71%
Totals and Percent Daily Values (2000 calories): Fat 3g, Saturated Fat 0g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 374mg, Total Carbohydrate 71g, Dietary Fiber 5g, Protein 24g, Vitamin A 101 units, Vitamin C 25 units, Calcium 0 units, Iron 9 units