Minestrone ala Barricks
Serve with hot, crusty Italian bread or my Perfect Garlic Bread.
- 1/2 pound sweet italian turkey sausage
- 1/2 pound hot italian turkey sausage
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Broth
- 3 large onions, diced
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 bunch carrot, diced
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 to 3 zucchini, sliced
- 1 28 oz. can canned tomatoes,
italian style, including liquid
- 2 14 oz. cans fat-free beef broth / boullion
- 1 small head cabbage, finely shredded
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 16 oz. can canned white kidney beans,
- 1 16 oz. can red kidney beans,
- 1/2 cup White rice
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- fresh parsley, chopped
In a 8 quart stockpot, brown and scramble both sausages (sans casings) in olive oil and vegetable broth. Add onions, garlic, carrots, and basil; cook 5 minutes.
Add zucchili, tomatoes (with liquid), bouillon, cabbage, salt and pepper. Bring to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour.
Add beans (with liquid) and White rice (brown rice needs a lot more cooking time). Cook 20 minutes.
Serve, topped with parmesan cheese and parsley
Nutrition Facts (8 PP)
Amount Per Serving:
Calories 321 - Calories from Fat 81
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 25%, Protein 25%, Carbohydrate 49%
Totals and Percent Daily Values (2000 calories): Fat 9g, Saturated Fat 3g, Cholesterol 37mg, Sodium 967mg, Total Carbohydrate 40g, Dietary Fiber 3g, Protein 20g, Vitamin A 2742 units, Vitamin C 58 units, Calcium 0 units, Iron 4 units