Mushroom Barley Soup
- 1 cup raw barley
- 6 cups Vegetable Broth, (or water)
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Broth
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups carrots, thin sliced (2 large)
- 1 Tablespoon dried dill weed
- 1 1/2 cups sliced celery
- 4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon salt
- finely ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon tamari
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup unbleached flour
- 1 cup nonfat sour cream
1. Combine barley & boiling water (or stock) in soup pot. Cover and simmer
until tender, about 40 minutes.
2. In large fry-pan, heat the 2 Tbs broth and saute the onion, carrots and dill
weed. A few minutes later, add the celery. When browned and cooked nicely,
add to the soup pot. Saute the mushrooms in same fry pan quickly on high
heat until lightly cooked, then add to soup pot. Add salt, pepper, tamari
and let simmer 30 minutes covered. Add more water as needed as the barley
will continue to absorb the water, making the soup thick.
3. Before serving, add parsley.
4. To add a creamy taste to soup, mix the flour with the sour cream. Stir
until thick. Add slowly to soup on low heat and serve.
May substitute rice for the barley for mushroom rice soup.
Amount Per Serving:
Calories 205 - Calories from Fat 6
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 3%, Protein 18%, Carbohydrate 79%
Totals and Percent Daily Values (2000 calories): Fat 1g, Saturated Fat 0g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 1883mg, Total Carbohydrate 41g, Dietary Fiber 1g, Protein 9g, Vitamin A 8153 units, Vitamin C 11 units, Calcium 0 units, Iron 2 units