Thursday Pea Soup
6 servings (10-12 cups)
- 1 pound dried split green or yellow peas
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Broth or Margarine
- 2 medium-size onions, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 1 rutabaga, peeled & diced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 7 cups Vegetable Broth
- 3 Tablespoons cider vinegar
Rinse peas and sort through, discarding any foreign material. Drain well.
Heat 2 TBS broth or margarine in large pot over medium heat; add onions, carrots, rutabaga, cumin, marjorum and white pepper. Cook, stirring often until onions are soft but not browned.
Add peas and stock and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, until peas lose their shape (1 1/2 - 3 hours). Mix in vinegar, add salt if needed.
Nutrition Facts (2 FP)
Amount Per Serving:
Calories 118 - Calories from Fat 5
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 4%, Protein 18%, Carbohydrate 78%
Totals and Percent Daily Values (2000 calories): Fat 1g, Saturated Fat 0g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 2266mg, Total Carbohydrate 23g, Dietary Fiber 2g, Protein 5g, Vitamin A 9214 units, Vitamin C 37 units, Calcium 0 units, Iron 2 units