Vegetable Basil Soup
- 3 Tablespoons Vegetable Broth,
and buttery vegetable spray
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large stalk celery, sliced
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 large potato, diced
- 2 fresh large tomato, diced
- 4 cups Vegetable Broth
- 3 Tablespoons fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 head cauliflower, small,
broken into flowerets
- 2 small zucchini, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 10 oz. package green peas
- salt and pepper
- 6 Tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Peeling Tomatoes: Cut out the stem; plop tomatoes into boiling water for about 30 to 60 seconds; remove from water with a slotted spoon and immediately drop into a bowl of cold water and ice cubes (to stop the cooking process); peel should practically slide off easily with the help of a paring knife.
1. In a large pot over medium heat, heat 3 Tbs broth. Add onion, celery, carrot,
cook stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft but not browned (about 10 minutes.)
2. Meanwhile, peel potato and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Peel and dice
tomatoes, you should have 2 cups. Add potato, tomatoes, stock and basil to
pot. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Add cauliflower and zucchini and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Add peas and simmer for another 5 minutes or until all vegetables are tender. Season to
taste with salt and pepper.
Serve with 1 Tbs parmesan cheese sprinkled over top of each serving.
Nutrition Facts (5 PP)
Amount Per Serving:
Calories 172 - Calories from Fat 18
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 10%, Protein 18%, Carbohydrate 72%
Totals and Percent Daily Values (2000 calories): Fat 2g, Saturated Fat 1g, Cholesterol 4mg, Sodium 1460mg, Total Carbohydrate 31g, Dietary Fiber 3g, Protein 8g, Vitamin A 5334 units, Vitamin C 54 units, Calcium 0 units, Iron 3 units