- 1 1/2 cups dried kidney beans or pinto beans
- 6 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 2 chopped green bell peppers
- 2 stalks chopped celery
- 1 Tablespoon margarine or butter
- 2 Tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomato
- 1 cup (DIVIDED after toasting) raw cashews
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 4 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- lowfat cheddar cheese
Soak the beans in a large pot in plenty of water overnight. Drain and throw away the soaking water. Add 6 cups water and the 2 bay leaves. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally. Cook until beans are tender, about 2 hours.
Toast 1 cup of whole, raw cashews in a 350 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until lightly browned. be careful as they will burn quickly. Take 1/2 cup toasted cashews and very lightly coarsely chop; set aside for a garnish.
In a soup pot, heat the oil. Add onions and garlic and saute about 2 minutes. Add green bell pepper and celery and cook until tender, about 8 minutes.
Melt the margarine in the pot then add all the spices; saute 1 - 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes; simmer for 10 minutes. Add cooked beans, liquid and all to the vegetable mixture. Add 1/2 cup whole, toasted cashews and the 2 teaspoons vinegar to mixture. Simmer for 30 minutes to blend the flavors. Remove and discard the bay leaves.
Serve over brown rice and top with a light sprinkling of toasted pieces of cashews and cheddar cheese.
Wonderful with Corn Bread.
Amount Per Serving:
Calories 474 - Calories from Fat 160
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 34%, Protein 11%, Carbohydrate 56%
Totals and Percent Daily Values (2000 calories): Fat 18g, Saturated Fat 3g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 1068mg, Total Carbohydrate 66g, Dietary Fiber 3g, Protein 13g, Vitamin A 1122 units, Vitamin C 65 units, Calcium 0 units, Iron 6 units