Fruited Rice Curry
- 3 Tablespoons Vegetable Broth
- 1 large banana, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger root, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored,
diced in 1/2-inch dice
- 8 dried apricots, cut with scissors
into 1/4-inch dice (1/3 cup diced)
- 2 Tablespoons raisins
- grated rind of 1 orange *
- 1/3 cup pecans (or dry roasted cashews)
- 2 1/2 cups cooked brown rice, COLD
- 1 Tablespoon margarine or butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
In a large skillet, heat 1 Tbs broth over medium heat. Saute the banana for 1 minute, or just until lightly golden. Do not allow it to get mushy. Remove and set aside.
Heat the remaining 2 Tbs broth . Add the ginger and spices and cook for 1 minute. Add the fruit, orange rind, and nuts, and saute for 5 minutes, stirring often.
Add the cold rice, toss well, and cook, stirring frequently, until hot, about 7 minutes. Dot with margarine and add the salt. Add the reserved banana just before serving.
* Orange Zest: Lightly grate just the orange from the orange making sure you don't go down too far. You do not want to grate the white beneath the orange.
Amount Per Serving:
Calories 293 - Calories from Fat 74
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 25%, Protein 6%, Carbohydrate 69%
Totals and Percent Daily Values (2000 calories): Fat 8g, Saturated Fat 1g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 385mg, Total Carbohydrate 51g, Dietary Fiber 1g, Protein 4g, Vitamin A 363 units, Vitamin C 7 units, Calcium 0 units, Iron 2 units