- 3 Tablespoons Vegetable Broth
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup thinly-sliced potato
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- lots of fresh ground black pepper
- crushed red pepper, to taste
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 small head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes, cubed
- 1 1/2 16 oz cans kidney beans, drained
Peeling Tomatoes: Cut out the stem; plop tomatoes into boiling water for about 1 minute; remove from water with a slotted spoon and immediately drop into a bowl of cold water and ice cubes (to stop the cooking process); peel should practically slide off easily with the help of a paring knife.
1. In a dutch oven or large skillet, saute the onions & garlic in broth (and maybe a tsp of olive oil for taste), with salt for 5 minutes, or until the onions are soft and translucent.
2. Add the spices, honey & lemon juice, stir and then add potatoes. Cover and cook 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. (add small amounts of water, if it appears to be sticking.)
3. Add remaining ingredients, except beans, Cover and let it stew over medium heat about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4.Add the cooked beans, stir, cover and let it simmer about 10 minutes more.
Serve with small salad, greek olives and a crusty bread. Freezes well.
Nutrition Facts (1 SP)
Amount Per Serving:
Calories 232 - Calories from Fat 10
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 4%, Protein 18%, Carbohydrate 78%
Totals and Percent Daily Values (2000 calories): Fat 1g, Saturated Fat 0g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 1149mg, Total Carbohydrate 45g, Dietary Fiber 3g, Protein 10g, Vitamin A 10914 units, Vitamin C 48 units, Calcium 0 units, Iron 4 units