Tofu with Key West
This barbecue sauce comes from the Florida Keys.
- 1 pound extra-firm tofu
- 2 Tablespoons unbleached flour
- 2 Tablespoons stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 4 Tablespoons Vegetable Broth, and
a spritz of vegetable cooking spray
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup honey, or sugar
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 small onion, finely minced
- 4 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
Tofu: Cut tofu on short end into 1/4-inch slices. Drain on a paper towel for about 30 minutes.
On a plate, mix flour, cornmeal, poultry seasoning, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper. Brush drained tofu on both sides with mustard, then roll in cornmeal mixture. Set aside.
Heat broth in a heavy skillet over medium heat; carefully place 4 slices of tofu in skillet, without crowding, and saute until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Keep warm til all slices are cooked.
Sauce: In a heavy medium-sized saucepan, combine all sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil, and simmer on low heat for 20-30 minutes. Makes 1 1/2 cups.
To Serve: Spoon sauce over tofu. Serve with a bland vegetable as sauce
is rather spicy
Amount Per Serving:
Calories 220 - Calories from Fat 54
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 25%, Protein 20%, Carbohydrate 55%
Totals and Percent Daily Values (2000 calories): Fat 6g, Saturated Fat 1g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 960mg, Total Carbohydrate 31g, Dietary Fiber 1g, Protein 11g, Vitamin A 447 units, Vitamin C 8 units, Calcium 0 units, Iron 7 units