Chickpea & Couscous Salad
- 3/4 cup couscous
- 1/3 cup walnuts, or pine nuts
- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded & diced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest *
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- fresh ground black pepper
- TARRAGON-YOGURT DRESSING:
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
- pinch cayenne pepper
1. In a large bowl, cover couscous with warm water; let stand until tender, 20-30 minutes. Drain in a sieve, gently pressing out excess water. Return to mixing bowl.
2. In a small dry skillet, toast walnuts over low heat, stirring until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Let cool, then coarsely chop.
3. Add chickpeas, cucumber, parsley, scallions, tarragon, lemon zest and nuts to couscous. Toss to combine.
4. With side of a chef's knife, mash GARLIC WITH 1/2 TEASPOON SALT. Transfer to a small bowl; whisk in lemon juice, oil and paprika. Toss lemon dressing with salad. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Serve, with a couple of dollops of Tarragon-Yogurt Dressing.
5. DRESSING: Line a sieve with a double layer of cheesecloth and place over a bowl (or use a yogurt cheese maker). Spoon in yogurt and drain at room temperature for 25 minutes.
6. With side of a chef's knife, mash GARLIC WITH 1/4 TEASPOON SALT. Transfer to a small bowl; whisk with drained yogurt, oil, tarragon and cayenne. Adjust seasoning with salt.
* Lemon Zest: Lightly grate just the yellow from the lemon making sure you don't go down too far. You do not want to grate the white beneath the yellow.
Amount Per Serving:
Calories 500 - Calories from Fat 132
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 26%, Protein 17%, Carbohydrate 56%
Totals and Percent Daily Values (2000 calories): Fat 15g, Saturated Fat 2g, Cholesterol 1mg, Sodium 366mg, Total Carbohydrate 71g, Dietary Fiber 4g, Protein 21g, Vitamin A 1623 units, Vitamin C 17 units, Calcium 0 units, Iron 10 units