Simple Tomato Sauce
This basic tomato sauce can be served hot or cold and enhanced with the addition of chiles or paprika. Use it with grains, pasta, and vegetable dishes such as Garden Vegetable Burgers.
- 1/4 cup water, nonfat chichen broth
or vegetable broth
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cups plum tomatoes, (large can)
drained and chopped or fresh tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 stalk finely chopped celery
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon firmly packed brown sugar
Peeling Tomatoes: Cut out the stem; plop tomatoes into boiling water for about 1 minute; remove from water with a slotted spoon and immediately drop into a bowl of cold water and ice cubes (to stop the cooking process); peel should practically slide off easily with the help of a paring knife.
Place water in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and red bell pepper. Cook and stir over low heat for 5 minutes. Add more liquid if necessary during this process.
Add the tomatoes, thyme, oregano, parsley, basil and celery. Cover and cook over low heat for 15 minutes.
Stir in pepper and brown sugar