Curried Seafood Bisque
An exotic mix of spices, herbs, vegetable, apples and chunks of shrimp and scallops.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled,
cored and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, cored,
seeded and chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, small chopped
- 1 14 oz. can fat-free chicken broth
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 2 Tablespoons golden raisins
- 1 to 1 1/2 Tablespoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 14 oz. can fat-free beef broth / boullion
- 2/3 cup instant nonfat dry milk
- 3 Tablespoons canned tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups 1% lowfat milk
- 3/4 pound shrimp, peeled, deveined
and coarsely chopped *
- 1/2 pound sea or bay scallops,
cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- mango chutney
- chopped fresh cilantro
In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add apples, onions, red pepper, carrot and celery. Saute for 7 to 10 minutes, or until vegetables are softened.
Stir in chicken broth, potato, raisins, curry powder, cardamom, allspice, thyme and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring frequently, for 12 to 15 minutes, or until potato is tender. Puree the mixture in 3 batches, in a blender, until smooth. Add a little beef broth if mixture is too thick. Rince out the pot and return the puree to it. Combine 1/2 cup beef broth, milk powder and tomato sauce in a blender or processor. Puree until smooth. Stir the tomato mixture into the pot, along with the remaining beef broth and skim milk. (The soup may be made ahead to this point and refrigerated for up to 24 hours. Heheat over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Do not boil.)
Add shrimp and scallops and cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the seafood is opaque. (Do not boil.) Add salt to taste. Just before serving, garnish each bowl with a few teaspoons of chutney and some chopped cilantro.
* HOW TO SHELL AND DEVEIN SHRIMP:
To remove shells: Hold the tail end of the shrimp in the left hand, slip the thumb of the right hand under the shell between the feelers and left off two or three segments. Still holding firmly to the tail, pull out the shrimp from the remaining tail section.
To devein: Cut along the back of the shelled, raw shrimp with a small sharp knife and lift out vein.
Nutrition Facts (5 PP)
Amount Per Serving:
Calories 204 - Calories from Fat 24
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 12%, Protein 36%, Carbohydrate 53%
Totals and Percent Daily Values (2000 calories): Fat 3g, Saturated Fat 1g, Cholesterol 77mg, Sodium 449mg, Total Carbohydrate 27g, Dietary Fiber 1g, Protein 18g, Vitamin A 2800 units, Vitamin C 24 units, Calcium 0 units, Iron 2 units