Yogurt with Cucumber
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped onions
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1 firm, ripe tomato
- 1 Tablespoon fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, toasted in
a small ungreased skillet over low
heat for 30 sec.
- 1 medium cucumber
1. Peel cucumber and slice lengthwise into halves; scoop out seeds. Cut cucumber lengthwise into 1/8-inch-thick slices, then crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces.
2. Cut tomato into 1/2-inch thick rounds, sliced into 1/2-inch-wide strips and then into 1/2-inch cubes.
3. Combine cucumber, onions and salt in a small bowl, and mix them together thoroughly with a spoon. Let the mixture rest at room temperature over 5 minutes or so, then squeeze the cucumbers gently between your fingers to remove the excess liquid.
4. Drop the cucumber pieces into a deep bowl, add the tomato and coriander, and toss them together gently but thoroughly. Combine the yogurt and cumin and pour over the vegetables, turning them with a spoon to coat them evenly. Taste for seasoning, cover tightly, and refrigerate at least 1 hour, or until completely chilled, before serving
Amount Per Serving:
Calories 49 - Calories from Fat 3
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 7%, Protein 32%, Carbohydrate 61%
Totals and Percent Daily Values (2000 calories): Fat 0g, Saturated Fat 0g, Cholesterol 1mg, Sodium 1804mg, Total Carbohydrate 7g, Dietary Fiber 1g, Protein 4g, Vitamin A 228 units, Vitamin C 11 units, Calcium 112 units, Iron 1 units